Saturday, May 24, 2008

What an experience....


Carter's 1st night at LGH in the Pediatric Unit.


Olivia's finally home...lots of extra room in this crib!!!

Brother and Sister finally back together again!!!

For all of those who didn't know yet things sometimes have to get worse before they get better. On Wednesday afternoon Carter was not acting 100% himself. He was more sleepy then normal, and not even waking up long enough to feed. When we went into the NICU to visit with Olivia I asked a nurse to take his temp. with one of the digital thermometers and she got a temp of 97.5. When I called his doctor they wanted to see him in the office right away. We arrived within 20 minutes and his temp was then 94.7. She tried to swaddle him tightly and see if we were able to raise his body temp, but after an hour were unsuccessful. They admitted him that night to LGH (downtown, not women's and babies) for treatment. He had hypothermia, and were concerned that the low body temp. could also indicate infection. Fortunately the blood work showed no infection, and after a night in the incubator they were able to bring his temp. back up. He maintained his temp. for 24 hours and we were able to be discharged on Friday. The diagnosis was that because of his prematurity and low weight he was just unable to bring up is temp on his own. There was nothing worse then admitting your 4 pound son to LGH while your daughter is at another hospital. Just how do you be a parent to both babies at the same time when they need you the most. Since Mitch and I have grown to love all the nursing staff in the NICU we once again entrusted them to give Olivia lots of hugs and kisses while we spent our days and nights at Carter's bedside.
On Saturday Olivia was discharged from the NICU!!!!! Now it is Saturday night and we sit as a family sitting in our living room free from any tubes, wires, and monitoring devices. We are finally a family that is all together...mommy, daddy, carter, and Olivia! Our house is set at 75 degrees and we are keeping it as quiet and peaceful as possible for the babies, but we are all together and that is all that matters! Again we know that everyone wants to meet the babies, but we are not accepting any visitors. This week Carter reminded us just how fragile they still are. Until they get older and bigger we aren't taking any more chances. Olivia loves her room and is so excited to be reunited again with her brother. We are finally a family....and loving it!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!! all of you. I will continue to pray that you all say strong and healthy. Mitch and Kala, try to rest when Olivia and Carter rest. It was so wonderful to finally see all of you safe and sound in your house. God bless you all! (big sister :)Harley, too!)

Memaw said...

As the new George Strait song says, "I saw God today"... at least his miracle.
Over the past several months, I prayed for many things...Kala's health, Mitch's strength and support, Carter and Olivia's health, strength for all of us as we climbed this mountain together.
This afternoon I had a unique opportunity to spend a few hours with my happy and healthy daughter, my magnificent son-in-law, and my beautiful, happy and healthy grandchildren in the comfort of their home. What can I say...we are truly blessed!
I love all of you. (HarHar too!)

Anonymous said...

As always, your in our prayers. I hope Carter and Olivia are adjusting to their home and are healthy as can be! Good Luck getting sleep now. We love you all!